Tiji Festival Trek
Lucky for you, this trip coincides with the end of the dry season and thus overlaps with the Tiji Festival, a spring-renewal party that ushers in the monsoons while celebrating the triumph of good over evil in a ritual locals call “the chasing of the demons.” Tiji comes from the words ten che, meaning the “hope of the dharma prevailing in all worlds,” the message Guru Rinpoche carried through this region over a thousand years ago.
Tiji consists of three-day of Tibetan rituals. The Tiji centers around a myth, which tells of a deity named Dorje Jono who must battle against his demon father to save the Kingdom of Mustang from destruction. Tiji comes from the word “ten che” meaning the hope of Buddha Dharma prevailing in all worlds and is effectively a spring renewal festival. The trek to Mustang is a spectacular walk through Himalayan terrain that contrasts wildly with the lush fertile hills and valleys located to the south of the main Himalayan chain. Mustang is a barren landscape with only a few small green fields dotting a lunar landscape, but boasts a remarkable spiritual heritage.
Tiji Festival Trek combines through Mustang’s fascinating villages, alongside Buddhist shrines and temples and in the shadows of the Himalayas most iconic mountains, before arriving at the fabled walled city of Lo Manthang for 3 days of dancing at the Tenchi Festival. The terrain is rough and the altitude can be hard going but you will be in the safe hands of Himalayan expert Adventure Connexion and his team of sherpas. Expect mainly camping (fully supported) with a few lodges and hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara for good measure.
During the Tiji Festival Trekking, the town square fills with characters clad as demons in flamboyant robes and hideous masks dancing about, slashing at the air with their swords and intoning spells over onlookers. Spend the day steeped in the sights, sounds, and movements of this once-in-a-lifetime cultural marvel. This three-day ceremony is lit up with colorful custom dress, dancing, music, and reenactments from the story of a deity and his demon father.
The Teji festival will be celebrate 30 May, 31 May and 01 June 2019 in Upper Mustang
Highlights of this trip
22 May 2019: Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
23 May 2019: Day 02: Full day Sightseeing tour around Kathmandu valley 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
24 May 2019: Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara 820m/ 5 to 6 hours
25 May 2019: Day 04: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom 2720m and trek to Kagbeni 2800m/3-4 hours
26 May 2019: Day 05: Trek from Kagbeni to Chhuksang 3100m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
27 May 2019: Day 06: Trek from Chhuksang to Ghiling 3570m/7-8 hours via Chuksi Cave. Overnight at Lodge
28 May 2019: Day 07: Trek from Ghiling to Drakmar 3450m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
29 May 2019: Day 08: Trek from Drakmar to Lo-Manthang 3840m/6-7 hours via Ghar Gompa and Marang-La Pass.
Tiji Festival Start
30 May 2019: Day 09: First day bserve Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
31 May 2019: Day 10: Second day observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
01 June 2019: Day 11: Final observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
Tenchi Festival End
02 June 2019: Day 12: Trek Lo Manthang (3750m) to Yara (3580m). 5-6 hours
03 June 2019: Day 13: Rest Day at Yara visit Luri Gompa. Overnight at Lodge
04 June 2019: Day 14: Trek Yara to Tange (3320).5-6 hours. Overnight at Lodge
05 June 2019: Day 15: Trek Tange (3320) to Chhuksang (3310m). 9 - 10 hours
06 June 2019: Day 16: Trek from Chhusang to Muktinath 3,710 m / 6-7 hours
07 June 2019: Day 17: Trek Muktinath to Jomsom 2720m/5 hours. Overnight at Lodge
08 June 2019: Day 18: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara 820m and rest time at Pokhara. Overnight at hotel
09 June 2019: Day 19: Drive back Pokhara to Kathmandu 1340m/5-6 hours. Overnight at Hotel
10 June 2019: Day 20: Final departure from Kathmandu
24 May 2019: Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
25 May 2019: Day 02: Full day Sightseeing tour around Kathmandu valley 1340m. Overnight at Hotel
26 May 2019: Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara 820 m/ 30min flight
27 May 2019: Day 04: Fly from Pokhara to Jomsom 2720m and then drive to Muktinath and drive back to Kagbeni 2800m/5 hours
28 May 2019: Day 05: Drive Kagbeni to Ghami 3520m / 4 hours. Overnight at Lodge
29 May 2019: Day 06: Drive Ghami to Lo-Manthang 3840m/4 hours
Tiji Festival Start
30 May 2019: Day 07: First day bserve Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
31 May 2019: Day 08: Second day observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
01 June 2019: Day 09: Final observe Tenji Festival Lo-Manthang 3840m. Overnight at Lodge
Tenchi Festival End
02 June 2019: Day 10: Drive Lo Manthang to Chhuksang (3310m). 5-6 hours
03 June 2019: Day 11: Drive Chhuksang to Jomsom (3310m). 5-6 hours
04 June 2019: Day 12: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara 820m and rest time at Pokhara. Overnight at hotel
05 June 2019: Day 13: Fly back Pokhara to Kathmandu 1340m/30min. Overnight at Hotel
06 June 2019: Day 14: Final departure from Kathmandu
- Airport pick up and Drop by private car/van/bus.
- 3 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with bed and breakfast basis.
- 2 nights accommodation in Pokhara with bed and breakfast basis.
- Your standard meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the trekking.
- All necessary paper works and conservation entry permits.
- Special Trekking Permit US$ 500 per person for 10 days (the above price includes 10 days valid trekking permit from Kagbeni to Kagbeni. If you would wish to stay more than 10 days in restricted area, you are subjected to extra charge for extra days (US$ 50 per day / per person).
- Annapurna conservation fee
- Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara flight fare.
- Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu by Flight.
- All accommodations in lodges/tea houses or provided tents during the trek as mentioned in the trek type.
- An experienced Government licensed guide and porters (1 porter for 2 peoples).
- Salary, Food, Drinks, Accommodation, Transportation and Insurance for the Guide and Porter.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Fare well dinner with typical Nepali restaurant
- All government taxes.
- International air fare to Nepal.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Personal clothing & equipments.
- Nepal entry visa fee $40. ( during 60 days from the date of issue.)
- Travel insurance and helicopter charter in any cases but if you want us to arrange
- Items of personal nature. ( Personal Expenses)
- Any kinds of alcoholic drinks, cold drinks, phone call, internet, laundry etc.
- Tips for your crews ( Guide, porter and driver)