The Upper Mustang Trek is not a high altitude (3,000m to 3,800m) trek, which is somehow intensified by the dry air. While it is no problem for those born at this altitude to travel at speed, visitors will be more leisurely in their hike to avoid any altitude related problems. On average walking takes place from 5 to 7 hours a day and some paths are particularly windy and dusty. But this trek into the restricted area of Upper Mustang, which in part follows the ancient salt route, is something that will remain in ones memory forever.
The historical remote Upper Mustang Trek unseal the once Forbidden Kingdom of Mustang, tucked away from the rest of the world, lies just north of the main Himalayan range of Nepal. Mustang is a mystic land in the rain shadow area of Nepal. Upper Mustang, with topography and culture resembling Tibet has many unique features and attractions. Mustang is an ancient Himalayan Kingdom which lies in the northern central part of Nepal and at the top of the Kaligandaki River. Upper Mustang consists of two distinct regions: the southern part and the northern where the languages, culture and traditions are alike to those of the Tibetan people. Upper Mustang is consider as one of the most interesting and picturesque places in Nepal.
The whole area has an isolated and mystical feel to it, enchanting and inspiring visitors to this region. The major attraction of Upper Mustang is the walled city of Lo-Manthang. Upper Mustang was a separate kingdom within Nepal until the time of Monarchy till 2006 and even after the downfall of Monarchy this small Tibetan settlement has the same respect for their King Jigme Paramal Bista. The trek to Lo-Manthang is through high altitude desert country climbing in and out of the huge sided valley of the Kali Gandaki. In places the gorge which the Kali Gandaki River runs through is the deepest in the world. This region is full of some of Nepal’s oldest Buddhist Monasteries, ancient and isolated villages with quaint white washed houses .
- Traditional Tibetan Buddhist culture
- Walled town of Lo Manthang
- Ancient Buddhist cave art
- Monasteries and Buddhist architecture
- Nomadic culture & Colourful gorges
- The Annual Tiji Festival
- Spectacular view of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri
- Airport pick ups and drops in private vehicle
- Three nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu
- Two nights’ accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Pokhara
- Best available twin sharing local lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek
- Guided Kathmandu City Tour in private vehicle including tour guide
- Kathmandu to Pokhara transfer by private vehicle
- Pokhara -Jomsom – Pokhara flight
- Special Trekking Permit US$ 500 per person for 10 days (the above price includes 10 days valid trekking permit from Kagbeni to Kagbeni. If you wish to stay more than 10 days in restricted area, you are subjected to extra charge for extra days (US$ 50 per day / per person).
- Annapurna conservation permit and all necessary permits.
- Full board meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Seasonal fruits during the trek
- Staff– one professional, knowledgeable and friendly English speaking trekking leader along with assistant guide (6 trekkers : 1 assistant guide) and porters (2 trekkers : 1 porter) including their food, accommodation, salary, equipment, transportation, and accidental insurance
- Duffle bag, Down jacket and sleeping bag for use during the trek
- Trekking map and trip achievement certificate
- First aid medical kit
- Farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- Government taxes & office service charge
- Lunch and Dinner whilst in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport photographs)
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- All kind drinks (Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks).
- Personal Equipment.
- All sightseeing fees in Kathmandu & Pokhara.
- Personal travel and medical insurance.
- Any kind of personal expense.
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
- Tips for trekking staff, driver (Tipping is expected).