Upper Mustang Trek Permit

Required Permit for Upper Mustang Trek

Special Trekking Permits are needed for most trekking areas besides Annapurna, Everest and Langtang & Helambu. Trekking Permits are raised by the Department of Immigration and have to be obtained in advance of the trek. They can only be obtained through an authorized trekking “ADVENTURE CONNEXION (P). LTD. Besides, in areas where trekking permits are needed, it is not allowed to go trekking without a guide. The trekking permits are issued for groups of 2 persons and more.

Upper Mustang is a continuation of Lower Mustang on the Annapurna Circuit yet its people and landscape are much different. Formally, and still locally, known as the Kingdom of Lo, Upper Mustang was a restricted demilitarised area until 1992. This was because of its close proximity to Tibet.  Today the local population still speak Tibetan based languages, follow Tibetan culture and preserve Tibetan culture in their homes. In 2008 when Nepal became a republic, Lo lost its status as a kingdom also. However, much respect was still awarded to Jigme Dorje Palbar Bista, the King of Mustang, until his death in December 2016.So you can begin to see why Upper Mustang takes on the image of a lost kingdom, steeped in mythology and rich in culture. Particularly so when it is an area which has less tourists due to its highly priced entrance permit.

Does Everyone Need a Permit?
Yes, all non-Nepalis need permits to enter Upper Mustang.

What Kind of Permits do I Need?
Everyone entering the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) area requires an entry permit which costs $22 per person for a single entry into the area but is valid for as long as the trek takes. There is no restriction on the length of time a person can stay in the ACAP area.

In addition, if someone is going into Upper Mustang (from Kagbeni onwards) they require a RAP (Restricted Area Permit). This costs $500 per person for 10 days. If longer is required, an additional $50 per day is charged.No TIMS or Trekkers Information Management System card is required for Upper Mustang as the Restricted Area Permit(RAP) is sufficient as it provides details of the trekker and his/her destination in case of an emergency or problem.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *